Today's "Prophets" & "Prophetesses" ...
Concerning Evangelical & non-denominational leaders who are held up today as "prophets & prophetesses", then most [99%] are no prophets at all. Of the men, most [90%] are actually true Christian "believers". But, their true prophetical "giftings" have been wrongfully interpreted by themselves, by other leaders & by the body of Christ as being a "prophet". The other 10% or so of today's so-called "prophets" are completely false ministers & religious phonies altogether. These are those who have deceitful spirits. [2 Cor.11:13; 1 Tim.4:1]. Only a countable few "prophets" in America today are the true & Biblically sound prophets of God.
With rare exceptions, the women seen today at the forefront who assume to operate as an actual 5-Fold Leader have no business whatsoever being in front of God's people. Of today's "prophetesses", 99% are no prophetess at all. Of this grouping, 70% have evil spirits as they are "deceitful workers". [2 Cor.11:13]. The other 30% or so are actual true Christian "believers" with true giftings. Yet these have allowed themselves to be wrongly influenced resulting in their unqualified status and unscriptural position in the forefront.
Either way, with very rare exceptions, they should step down from exalting themselves in God's House. Also like today's men ministers, most women seen in the pulpits today have brought a great reproach & mockery upon the Lord with their dominating-controlling & unbecoming character, speech & arrogant attitudes. [*The next chapter specifically expounds on this.]
Scriptures are clear that 'overseers' & 'deacons' of God's flock must be "a man". [1Tim. 3:1-16]. However, scriptures clearly allow for female believers to operate powerfully in the areas of teaching, evangelism & prophetical giftings & even as a prophetess. But, always within Paul's guidelines and in conjunction with the 5-Fold ministry roles filled by men. [1Tim. 2:12; 1 Tim 3:1].
But, what has occurred over the years in America is a naivety & sloppiness in Christian leadership even with the term "prophet". Since the 1980's or so, this has opened the door across the United States for most anyone with any level of true prophetical "giftings" to be quickly & widely accepted in God's House as a "prophet" or "prophetess".
In fact, today's false "prophets & prophetesses" are deceitful & have evil spirits exactly as the woman who followed Paul's minstry for "many days". [Acts 16:16-18]. Just like today's false "ministers", she could stand up in the House of God & deliver a perfect & true prophecy & probably to the applause of the body of Christ who observed. Yet, Paul's discernment was keen & "trained to discern good & evil". [Heb.5:14]. At the right timing & under an anointing of power, Paul cast the evil spirit out of her. [Acts 16:18].
However, in today's Christian leadership & the body of Christ the quick acceptance of most anyone as a "prophet" or "prophetess" goes almost entirely unchecked. Here again, this is because of a serious lack of discernment. Most [99%] of today's Christian leaders would not recognize a demon-possessed person sitting right in front of them. This is obviously confirmed by so few leaders today who, unlike Jesus & Paul, are rarely [if ever] seen ministering full & powerful deliverances to anyone at all. [Mark 1:23-27].
But, having prophetical "gifts" in no way automatically equates a believer with being a "prophet" which is a higher calling & office amongst God's true leaders altogether. In fact, no true prophet of God will be seen constantly, as today's so-called "prophets" are, as providing their best prophecies to be personal messages to believers about "who their next husband or wife might be", or that "prosperity is coming to a believer soon...." or "the Lord is going to use you mightily...." or "God has a ministry for you...".
In the last several years in the USA, a popular message spread amongst God's people by the "prophets" is that "America itself [as a nation] is about to experience the greatest prosperity financially in our nation's history". But quite to the contrary, unless this nation as a whole first repents, this couldn't be more false. Unlike the true prophets of God, today's so-called "prophets" & "prophetesses" have kept the warning of "repentance" almost nowhere to be found. But, in today's world, this is exactly one of the prophetical "words" which should be delivered to God's people. [*This is elaborated on in the chapter on "America's Future".]
Another popular but completely short-sighted message of today's "prophets" is the "find your destiny" pitch. True, finding one's own area of purpose or "part" in the body of Christ is essential. Yet, no true prophet of God would focus only [as today's so-called "prophets" & "prophetesses" have] on a short-sighted "destiny" while minimizing or leaving out altogether today's greatest warnings to God's children of the imminent judgements of God, including the return of the Lord Himself.
But in the mighty times ahead, God's true prophets & prophetesses will be heard as sounding a trumpet in these End Times. The greatest prophetical voices of God in the coming days will be as powerful oracles who represent God & speak for God. His true prophets in the days ahead will in no way be 'less' than the other mighty prophets of old. In fact, in most ways they will be even mightier in the days ahead.
They will also have God's people as their prime concern as they announce End Time insights which point to the global judgements & imminent re-appearance of His own Son. It is a global "word" which His true prophets will be heard speaking. Namely, "Repent! For your eternal "destiny" is at hand!". This lines up exactly with all other scriptural warnings for the End Time generation including the Lord's own warnings to His End Time people when He said: "When you see all these things, Look up! Because your Redemption is drawing near!". [Luke 21:38].
In reality, if the true prophets of God, like Elijah, Elisha, Daniel, Ezekiel, John the Baptist, the Apostle Paul & John the Revelator were to stand as a group on stage next to today's American ministers & so-called top "prophets & prophetesses", then the stark contrast would be immediately obvious to all, even unbelievers.
So far, today's so-called "prophets" are in perfect line with the prophet Jeremiah's foresight for these End Times when he warned:
"In the Last Days you will clearly understand it. I [God] did not send these prophets, but they ran. I did not speak to them, yet they prophesied. But, if they had stood in My council, then they would have announced My words to My people, And would have turned them back from their evil way and from the evil of their deeds." [Jer.23:20-22].
Copyright 2007 / End Time Prophetic Insight / US Library of Congress / All Rights Reserved. [ Rob Conrad / author ]